Didn't Earn Your High School Diploma

Professionals raising their hand to answer a question

If you didn't complete high school, you can still get your diploma and then go to college.

Start by taking the high school equivalency test. In New York State, the test is called the General Educational Development Test (GED® Test). 

The GED is free to New Yorkers!

Sign Up Now

What is the GED?

GED stands for General Educational Development Test.

It includes four subject tests:
•   Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA), which includes both reading and writing
•   Social Studies
•   Science
•   Mathematical Reasoning

By passing the GED exam, you will earn a state high school diploma and recognition that you have a high school level of education.
The GED is recognized and accepted by nearly all U.S. colleges, employers, and universities.

How do I sign up for the GED?
The GED is offered at test sites throughout the state. 
Instructions for scheduling the exam, as well as how to prepare, visit the New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Office.

Who can take the GED?
You do not currently possess a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma in the United States or its territories.
You have resided in NYS for at least 30 days.
You are 16 years old or older - those under 19 must meet additional requirements.

What if I have a disability?
If you have a learning, physical, and/or emotional/mental disability or disorder, you may receive special accommodations for taking the GED.

For additional information, visit the New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Office.

Have Questions? HESC Has Events That Can Help.

Join Now