NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans

Scholarships for students whose parent served in the U.S. Armed Forces during designated periods of war or national emergencies and as a result have passed, become disabled, are missing in action, or were taken as a prisoner of war.

  • Receive up to $450 per year

  • Be pursuing an approved undergraduate degree at a college or university located in NYS

  • Parent must have served during a specified times of war or national emergency.


Eligibility must first be established by completing the Children of Veterans' Award Web Supplement.

Be sure to print the Web Supplement Confirmation, sign and return it along with the required documentation according to the instructions.

Once you have established your eligibility you must complete your FAFSA and apply for TAP.

Complete the FAFSAApply for TAP





Must complete the FAFSA and TAP application or Dream Act application each year for payment.

Any award payment received may have tax implications. Please direct any questions to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.

Undocumented and other immigrant students: before submitting your application material, apply for eligibility under the NYS DREAM Act.

To receive the Scholarship, you must meet the following residency requirements: 

  • You are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
  • You are a legal resident of New York State and have resided in New York State for 12 continuous months.

Not a citizen or eligible noncitizen? Learn more about the NYS DREAM Act application.

The veteran must currently be a New York State resident or have been a New York State resident at the time of death.

Parent served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified times of war or national emergency and, as a result of service either: 

  • Died, 

  • Suffered a 40% or more disability, 

  • Was classified as missing in action, or

  • Was a prisoner of war. 

The veteran must currently be a New York State resident or have been a New York State resident at the time of death.


 Applicable Periods of Service

Conflict or National Emergency

Period of Service


09/18/2001 - end of hostilities


10/16/2002 – end of hostilities

Persian Gulf

08/02/1990 - end of hostilities


12/22/1961 - 05/07/1975

Korean Conflict

06/27/1950 - 01/31/1955

World War II

12/07/1941 - 12/31/1946

World War I

07/28/1914 - 11/11/1918

or as a Merchant Seaman during the period from 12/07/41 to 08/15/45


Students whose parent(s) was the recipient of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal, or the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal for participation in operations in Lebanon, Grenada, or Panama. 

Conflict or National Emergency

Period of Service


12/20/89 - 01/31/90


10/23/83 - 11/21/83


06/01/83 - 12/01/87

Note: Students who were born with spina bifida whose parent is a Vietnam Veteran who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Indochina between 12/22/61 - 05/07/75 must contact HESC at [email protected] for application instructions. 

High School, GED, or Ability to Benefit

  • Graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma (GED), or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test. 

College & Program 

Once in college, you must meet the following requirements: 

  • Pursuing an undergraduate degree full-time or part-time at an approved post-secondary institution in New York State.
  • Matriculated in an approved program of study 

There are no income limits for this Scholarship.

Financial Status

To receive the Scholarship, you must:

  • Be in good standing (a non-default status) on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award, AND
  • Be in compliance with the terms of the service condition(s) imposed by any NYS award that you have previously received.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, students with qualified disabilities who attend less than full-time must register with their college office for students with disabilities.

Learn more

Have Questions? 

Schedule a Call
HESC is here to answer your questions or help you with a specific issue. 

Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Request an Appointment