Aid for Part-Time Study

Tuition award for part-time students pursing an undergraduate degree at participating NYS colleges.

  • Up to $2,000 per year

  • Available to students taking three to eleven credits per semester

  • Your college must be participating in the program

  • Must apply through your participating college

  • Net taxable household income cannot exceed $34,250 for independent students or $50,550 a year for dependent students or independent students with children 

  • Must be a legal NYS resident for 12 continuous months prior to enrolling or qualified under NYS-DREAM Act 


Obtain an APTS application from the college you will be attending and return it to the college as early as possible for processing.




Up to $2,000 per year

Award amount determined by:

  • College financial aid administrators select recipients from eligible students based on the allocated funding and number of applicants. 
  • APTS award cannot exceed the tuition charged.


Must apply every year at your college.

Any award payment received may have tax implications. Please direct any questions to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.

Undocumented and other immigrant students: before submitting your Aid for Part-Time Study application, apply for eligibility under the NYS DREAM Act.

You can receive Aid if you meet the following residency requirements: 

  • You are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen. AND
  • You are a legal resident of New York State and have resided in New York State for 12 continuous months.

Not a citizen or eligible noncitizen? Learn more about the NYS DREAM Act application

High School, GED, or Ability to Benefit

  • Graduated from a High School in the U.S. earned a high school equivalency diploma (GED) or passed a federally approved Ability to Benefit test. 

College & Program

  • Study at a participating private or public college.

Once in college, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Enrolled as a matriculated, part-time student taking 3-11 credits per semester.
  • In good academic standing.
  • Not have exhausted your Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) eligibility.


Eligibility for an award is based on New York State Net taxable income, Federal, State or local pension income and private pension and annuity income, if applicable, from the preceding calendar year.

  • Household net taxable income may not exceed $50,550 for dependent students or independent students with children.
  • Household net taxable income (including spouse’s income) may not exceed $34,250. The spouse’s income must be included if you were married on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year.

Financial Status

To receive the Scholarship, you must:

  • Be in good standing (a non-default status) on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award, and
  • Be in compliance with the terms of the service condition(s) imposed by any NYS award that you have previously received.

Have Questions? 

Schedule a call.

HESC is here to answer your questions or help you with a specific issue. 

Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Request an Appointment