Applying For Aid

New York State residents can apply for Federal and NYS student financial aid to help pay for college. 

In order to continue receiving financial aid, you must apply every year you attend college.

  • Prepare What You'll Need

    Organizing your information ahead of time streamlines the process and increases your chances of receiving aid.
    Be sure to complete your FAFSA so you don't leave any money on the table.

  • Get FAFSA Guidance

    The FAFSA is the form that the federal government, states, colleges, and other organizations use to determine your eligibility for federal financial aid, such as grants, educational loans, and work-study programs.

  • Learn About TAP

    The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents attending in-state postsecondary institutions pay for tuition.

    Part-time TAP helps eligible New York residents attending in-state, post-secondary institutions on a part-time basis pay for tuition. TAP is a grant; it does not have to be paid back.

Not a Citizen?

Some New York State residents qualify!

The Senator Jos√© Peralta New York State DREAM Act gives undocumented and other students access to New York State‚Äźadministered grants and scholarships that support their higher education costs. Find out if you qualify. 

More About the DREAM Act

Learn How HESC Can Help!

Plan for college

Have Questions? HESC Has Events That Can Help.