Transferring from a 2-year to a 4-year College or University

  • College Navigator can help you identify your preferences and find colleges.
  • Does your current school has an articulation agreement with other colleges?
    • These partnerships are often made between two-year community colleges and
      four-year colleges.

  • Concentrate on the pre-requisites you need to be admitted into your academic major.
  • Many colleges have specific criteria for the transfer of major courses.
  • Ask the transfer admissions counselor for a degree audit or program evaluation to provide a preliminary analysis of your current academic credits.
    • It is very important to understand how your current college credits will transfer to a new school.
    • Review the transfer policies of the schools you are interested in.
    • Look in the course offerings and review course equivalencies.

Check the college’s admissions website for application procedures for transfer students.

Request your official transcripts from ALL the colleges you have attended and from your high
school, if required by the college. For veterans and members of the military, contact your military branch to obtain your transcript.

  • Contact each college's financial aid office.
  • Review the Find Aid page to learn about federal, state and institutional grants and scholarships, as well as federal student loans.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  • New York State residents applying to a college in New York State can apply for a New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) grant online.

  • Call the college or go online to check your admissions status.
  • Keep in contact with your admissions counselor throughout the process.
  • Ensure your contact information is current.